Turns out amphibians have the ability to knock out Mike Tyson.
The boxing great recently claimed to have “died” after taking psychedelic toad venom.
Tyson regaled the New York Post with the story of how he had first tried the venom of the Bufo alvarius—an amphibian indigenous to Mexico—about four years ago. He dropped this anecdote at Wonderland in Miami, a conference which discusses the benefits of psychedelics and which touts itself as “the largest psychedelic medicine business event, ever,” so it wasn’t like it was made out of the blue.
“I ‘died’ during my first trip,” told Tyson to the publication. “In my trips I’ve seen that death is beautiful. Life and death both have to be beautiful, but death has a bad rep. The toad has taught me that I’m not going to be here forever. There’s an expiration date.”
This actually isn’t the first time Tyson has praised the effects of the venom, either: a 2019 video published by ESPN shows Tyson describing being “reborn” after dropping some toad venom, deeming it “mind-blowing.”
“It sounds like a movie script,” he admits to Dan Le Batard. “But it’s the real deal.”
Heathline states that the specific drug that inspires these psychedelic trips is N-dimethyltryptamine, also known as “DMT.” It’s actually listed as a Schedule I controlled substance—i.e., the most restricted of the drugs in the U.S.—and may cause the following side effects: rapid heart rate; increased blood pressure; visual disturbances; dizziness; dilated pupils; agitation; paranoia; rapid rhythmic eye movements; chest pain or tightness; diarrhea; nausea and vomiting.
Or you could have a life-altering experience. Who knows?