Tessica Brown, now known worldwide as the “Gorilla Glue Girl,” wants people to know that she never intended to go viral after spraying her hair with ultra-strong adhesive.
Brown, a mother-of-five in Louisiana, says her hair has been rock-solid for a month now. She said she used Gorilla Glue Spray Adhesive when she ran out of the hair spray she usually uses, Got2b Glued hair spray, and mistakenly thought the glue could wash out.
Efforts to remove the glue with rubbing alcohol and olive, tea tree and other oils failed. She also went to the emergency room, where acetone burned her scalp and didn’t soften the glue enough before hardening again.
She told ET that she only posted photos and videos of her saga online because she was desperate for help.
“I never was going to take this to social media. The reason I took this to social media was because I didn’t know what else to do,” Brown said Tuesday. “And I know somebody out there could have told me something. I didn’t think for one second when I got up the next morning it was gonna be everywhere.”
“If you knew me, you wouldn’t say half the stuff they are saying,” she continued. “Then somebody said, ‘Oh, she’s just put that on her head on purpose just to get to here.’ Who in their right mind would say, ‘Oh well, let me just spray this in my head and become famous overnight?’ Never!…Who would want them to do that? I needed somebody to tell me how to take this off, that’s all it was.”
The New York Post reports Brown was able to finally cut off her ponytail by using the product Goof Off to soften the glue. It took a friend four hours to remove it with the superglue remover and scissors.
On Wednesday morning, she announced that she’s flying to Los Angeles to get professional help. TMZ reports a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills has offered to help free of charge, using medical-grade glue remover in a procedure that could take three days.
Brown said that if the procedure is successful, the money she’s raising on a GoFundMe will go towards buying wigs as hair might not be able to grow back in some parts of her scalp. She owns a daycare and runs a dance group, but said both businesses have struggled in the coronavirus pandemic.
Brown also denied previous reports that she spent 22 hours in the ER at a local hospital, and shot down claims she was considering suing Gorilla Glue. She said she’s used the adhesive before, not on her hair, and assumed she could “wash it right out.”
“I made a mistake,” Brown admitted to ET.
Gorilla Glue, based in Ohio, said its product “is not indicated for use in or on hair as it is considered permanent.” The company said it was aware of Brown’s “unique situation” and cautioned that its spray adhesive is considered permanent and designed for use on craft, home, auto or office projects to mount things such as paper, cardboard, wood, laminate and fabric. The warning label also says “Do not swallow. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing.”
Brown added that she doesn’t want to be known as the “Gorilla Glue Girl,” which has bothered her children as they hear about it at school.
“I’m not this whole Gorilla Glue girl, my name is Tessica Brown,” Brown told ET. “I told my son today, ‘I wish I could just go back,’ because I’m over it. I’m over it.”
(c)2021 Syracuse Media Group, N.Y.
Visit Syracuse Media Group, N.Y. at www.syracuse.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.