New York Daily News
Michael Keaton reacted to the surprise cancellation of the “Batgirl” movie, which would have featured his return as Batman.
“I think it was a business decision,” Keaton told reporters backstage at the Emmys, according to Variety. “I’m going to assume it was a good one. I really don’t know.”
Keaton was set to star alongside Leslie Grace in “Batgirl,” which was expected to come out on HBO Max later this year before the cancellation was revealed last month.
The film had a $90 million budget and was shelved for tax-write down purposes, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Keaton played the title superhero in 1989′s “Batman” and 1992′s “Batman Returns.” He is now expected to reprise the role in next year’s “The Flash.”
“We’ll see,” Keaton said Monday when asked when he’ll return as the character. “It was great. It was fun. I really have no idea.”
Grace was set to portray Batgirl after making her feature film debut last year in the movie musical “In the Heights.”
“I am proud of the love, hard work and intention all of our incredible cast and tireless crew put into this film over 7 months in Scotland,” Grace wrote in an Instagram post after “Batgirl” got canceled.
“I feel blessed to have worked among absolute greats and forged relationships for a lifetime in the process! To every Batgirl fan — THANK YOU for the love and belief, allowing me to take on the cape and become, as Babs said best, ‘my own damn hero!’ ”